Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Doctor Chose Me


Whovians.

I know you are out there: peering out from under your rather comfortable blanket, armed with custard and fish fingers, and all the available episodes of Doctor Who. I created this poster in your honor.

You know how I know you're there? You gave yourselves away. I typed in "cus" into Google, and THE FIRST THING it suggested was custard and fish fingers. Do you have any idea how many people have to search for that for it to become the NUMBER ONE default? Granted, off hand I cant think of many other things that people would be searching for that begins with "cus," but I have every intention of frolicking right past that point.

For those of you who are dedicated geeks (or not), but have yet to become one with the Whovians... let me just tell you, it is a happy, albeit strange, place. (My personal favorite realization is the following caption for this image.)

"Doctor Who must look so weird to the outside world. A guy in a fez holding a mop, talking to a Roman guy holding a dead girl" -pinner

Well, mostly. Actually, I lie. Moffat is the main writer. Anyone who has been on Tumblr or spent more than 30 seconds on the Geek page of Pinterest will have probably seen:


Let's just say Moffat gets his kicks from killing those we love. More proof? Try LINK.

Actually, as I write this, I feel like I should be warning you away. It's too late for me. Save yourself. But we all know that fandoms don't act like that. We want you to understand why we choose to suffer. And Doctor Who is absolutely magical. Poignant, hilarious. It is well worth trying. What's the worst that could.... oh, yes, well... it's worth it.

As stated so well by Madame de Pompadour in one of my favorite episodes, "The Girl in the Fireplace," "One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel." (I felt the wind from all the Supernatural fans letting out a deep sigh)

And that is Doctor Who. Not really. And I have every intention of talking about it again. And how much I want to be a companion. I just cross my fingers that I would be chosen... rather than the reject candidate. Pooor Mickey.

Next time: The next in our fandom series. Tune in for which group gets the nod next!

4 comments:

  1. Mickey wasn't really the tin dog. He found his purpose and it was far beyond the tin dog. That's the Doctor. The Doctor helps you find something bigger than yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. I could only hope that my companionship would be so profitable!! But initially, the Doctor liked to joke about his presence. I giggle every time at the part in "The Girl in the Fireplace" when Rose tells him he can't keep Arthur, and he replies, "I let you keep Mickey!"

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Where do we find your DW fandom poster? :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete