Thursday, April 10, 2014

Smashed through the Window, Ruffled the Hair, and Kissed Me


You don't need to visit Tumblr to know that Sherlock, with it's 9 episodes, is already a firm fixture in the nerd world. (SuperWhoLock exists for a reason.) It does help to illuminate how intense the fans are though. 

Sherlock is the BBC's reimagining of the fabulous Sherlock Holmes' adventures in modern days. If it was half decent, it was going to have fans. But then the fangirls got a look at Benedict Cumberbatch as the uber-smart (-a**) consulting detective, and their heartstrings gave a twang. He calls them the Cumbercollective. They are known by another name, but for the sake of the youngsters, I'll only raise my eyebrows suggestively. 

After watching the first season, I reread The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and it just made me that much more impressed with the show. You can enjoy it without knowing specific adventures, but I kind of like their nods to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's inspiration. That man was a genius. 

The show keeps getting better too. By the end of season 2, my friends and I were having Sherlock-viewing parties. And boy, howdy, they were fabulous. I won't mention our reaction to the first couple of minutes of season 3. Let's just say, adult women squealing like stabbed pigs could grate on the soul's of a saint. The men at the viewing probably would agree.

Granted, the hiatus's are enough to turn relatively normal fans into crazy, mouth-foaming eccentrics, but it is so very worth it. 

Also, I rather like watching the chaos. 

PS. If you want a free copy of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, you should seriously check out this link. It is a collection of more links that are all sites to find free ebooks. Ones that are no longer protected by copyright. I know that I have found some of my favorites that are no longer in print. And although it may not be as satisfying as your paper copy, at least you will always have access to it!


Next time: Another in our current series? I guess we shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment