Monday, April 7, 2014

I Didn't Choose the Geek Life...

I realize this is entirely belated, and I apologize. Last week became the stuff of legends, and none of the good ones. But I am really looking forward to this post, mostly because I like encouragement. Especially when it is something that I already do. It's validation that I don't need but appreciate anyway.

So, you are ready to admit you are a geek? You may have heard the whisperings in you when you read a book for a class before it was due. It might have been a television show that you guilty pleasure. Or you've decided that music is your life: all kinds of music. Look, I don't know what brought you to the geek side, but welcome. You are here with friends.

What makes a geek a geek? What makes a nerd a nerd?

Well, I am usually all about arguing semantics, but in this particular case, I believe that it isn't worth defining the differences between geeks and nerds. I'm looking at the similarities.

Simon Pegg, Scotty in the new Star Trek, is quoted to have said,
"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."
By this definition, we are allowed to get excited. It doesn't matter if you are reveling in joy of the newest Green Arrow installment or the Green Bay Packers game. It is the simple fact that you are involved, captured, and holding onto this moment and event.

John Green, author and vlogger, said,


Never feel ashamed about that which you are passionate. How can you find yourself and what you wish to do if you are always constantly hampering your basic urge to use real emotion? 

As humans, we are constantly bombarded with ideals that others wish to instill in us. Or on us. I would like to add a disclaimer to say that I don't want to force you into the geek world. If you wish to live your life as an aspiring Vulcan, who am I to say that's wrong. But the catch is, it has to be you that wants it. Not your parents or your teachers or your significant other. Make the decisions about what moves you and then try to never let them go. 

They will change as you age. That is only to be expected. But the difference is are you letting them go naturally, or are they slipping away due to neglect or mockery? If you are ready to let something go, EMBRACE SOMETHING ELSE. You don't have to be anyone but you. 

One last quote, and I swear I will get off the soapbox.
"I'm a dork. I collected comics. I still love cartoons. I'd rather be at home on a Friday night than out at some club. My sense of humor is that of a geek. My likes and dislikes are that of a geek. I've memorized every crappy sci-fi movie there is, but still haven't seen Schindler's List."    - Nathan Fillion


Next post: Posters for the "I didn't choose the geek life..." or maybe an author suggestion. I haven't decided. But it will be great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment